Beautiful Autumn skin...
It's always a bit of a shock to the system when autumn finally arrives, and some of us will already be planning a get-away to somewhere a bit warmer! So how does autumn affect our skin - and how can we maintain that healthy glow summer gives us?
1) Hydrate. As the weather cools down you may find you are forgetting to drink as much water as you did in summer, but it's really important to stay hydrated so your skin cells are more like plump grapes than wrinkly raisins! Colder weather can cause our skin to dry out and you may find that the products you were using in summer don't feel the same on our skin as the we get closer to winter, consider changing to a richer moisturiser to combat the effect of air-conditioning and colder air.
2) Repair. Autumn is a great time to correct any sun damage you sustained over summer. At this time of year we are doing more of our Opulence oxygen facials here at the clinic. These are richly hydrating treatments to plump the skin and reduce fine lines, with antioxidants to improve skin health, calming skin smoothers for redness, concentrated vitamin C to repair collagen damage, and botanicals that clear hyper-pigmentation and age spots, giving brightened, smooth, glowing skin. Click here to see our Oxygen facials.
3) Smooth. Make sure you gently exfoliate, this will help remove any build-up of dead skin cells, allowing your moisturiser to penetrate better, unblock pores, reduce breakouts, give a smoother surface and reduce fine lines. Rather than using a scrub, exfoliants containing BHA's gently slough off dead skin cells and have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial action so they are great for sensitive skin prone to breakouts or redness. AHA containing exfoliants are for sun-damaged and dry skin because they exfoliate on the surface of skin and have the added benefit of also improving moisture content. Ask us about adding a gentle peel to your oxygen facial treatment.
4) Supplement. Remember to take your omega 3's. This vital essential fatty acid cannot be manufactured by the body - so needs to be part of our diet. Omega 3's help the body reduce inflammation and make a more flexible cell wall, giving smoother, healthier skin and shiny hair, as well as many internal health benefits - from increased brain function, to lowered blood pressure and reduced heart disease. You can add oily fish such as salmon or sardines, and walnuts or flaxseed oil to your diet, or choose a good supplement. Do not choose a cheap supplement as the oils are often rancid or they may contain Mercury. Two brands I like are Nordic Naturals, or Usana Biomega which we offer.
5) Exercise. While it is tempting to snuggle up inside and keep cosy when it's cold and dark or raining, exercise remains vital to keep us feeling and looking good. It keeps our circulation working which increases oxygen supply to our cells and helps eliminate toxins, cellular wastes and free radicals that can damage our collagen. Regular moderate exercise helps to maintain a healthy glowing complexion. So come and try the 15 minute power plate workout!